Sunday, March 15, 2009

How do you Pi?

Yesterday was π day for those who missed it.

We celebrate 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510... on 3/14 (or 3.14 if you prefer)

And how else to celebrate, but make Pie!

I rarely make anything resembling dessert at this point in my life. Dessert is a huge indulgence both in terms of calories and time to bake and so my pie was also my dinner, and also a favorite thing:

Spinach Pie


It isn't round, so π isn't really needed, but it was time to eat so pie was. Or something like that. I haven't made this recipe in years, but ran across it in my binder the other day and I love spinach. and cheese. and pie. And with the date coming up I knew I had to celebrate.
So here is my recipe. At least I'm pretty sure that's what this scrap of paper is. The notes in black are newer, scribbled hastily, just like the recipe...

(my "real" writing is much neater. My recipe scribble? I can't explain)
I gathered & stemmed my pile of spinach
Unfortunately, at first read, I thought the recipe said only a pound, instead of 1 1/4 pound. I also thought I had a pound, but it must have been weighed in its little plastic container so I only had 12 oz. So my big pile, was cooked and shrunk down to this

After a little lookey at some other random recipes, I decided to add some extra onion. I had a HUGE shallot so that was chopped, and these lovely sweet green onions along with my lovely little green onions They were sauteed first, then mixed together with the spinach and then the cheeses and parsley & eggs

Next was the laying of the Phyllo. You lay a layer then butter it, then another then more butter. that + next to the 1/2 cup? it probably should say + another 1/2 cup! ( I may have been able to get away with only 3/4 cup, but once I melted it, I figured I should use it) and besides I have to go with the Noble Cathy on this one!
And, I had help. (you'll see in a minute)
So after 5 or 6 layers of trying not to tear the phyllo, and making sure it wasn't too dry, or too wet, or too cold... I finally got to dump the bowl of filling in. (Yay) and then it was more phyllo wrestling. But Bob was having a good time. Have ya met Bob? He's the one mooning ya!
Well, after a bake for 40-45 minutes, we had a lovely spanakopita, or spinach pie if you will.

From spin pie

Yes, I still think it needs more spinach. And maybe I should have chopped it a little better. But the overall review? 2 Yums up!

And tonight? Ahhh, I am wary. The Ides of March are upon us. We will be having Caesar Salad!


0 garnishes:

  © Blogger template Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP